Saturday 5 January 2008

A roof to work under

There hasn't been much time to take photos, but for the last week or so I've been building the summer house that the oven will sit at the back of. This isn't a great picture of it - I was fixing the roof sheets down when I got sick of the rain and stopped to go inside, so this is taken from inside the house. You can just about see the oven, covered in black plastic so my insulation bricks don't get saturated with rain. It's got about half a roof a roof now - hopefully finish this tomorrow if it ever stops raining...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so I don't feel like a totally useless male, please tell me that you are in the building trade or something :-)

Carl said...

I'm afraid not - although sometimes I wish I was because I'd pay a lot less for materials! I'm merely an enthusiastic bodger - I take the approach of using ten nails and a coach bolt where a proper carpenter would make a nice hand made joint... Many of my projects look great from a distance - as in this photo :-)

Aris said...

I'm sorry - but this is more than a bodge - but it certainly does give inspiration as to what an 'amateur' could do.

I'm also not sure that trades people get that much better pricing than everyone else, unless they buy in bulk.

Carl said...

Thanks for the kind comments. In these pictures you can't see all the split wood where I nailed it badly, or the 4" nails with spikes sticking out because I forgot the wood was only 3" thick. Nothing the angle grinder won't sort out though....

You're probably right about the prices to the trade though - I used Timber Center for all this timber, and they gave me a far better price than anywhere else. I've learned recently to stay away from the DIY supply places and go to the places that supply the trade. Screwfix are good for cheap fixings, and I used Wickes for the roof sheets.

This is only a lot of 2x4, 4x4 and 3x2 nailed and coach bolted together. Anyone who can saw, drill and nail could build this - if anyone wants to know more just ask and I'll help all I can. The roof was pretty easy too - just nailed on sheets.